Re: [SLUG] Linux 2.6.15: Let's cook pizza

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 10:14:35 EST

On Sunday 05 March 2006 09:52, Robert Snyder wrote:
> Dylan Hardison wrote:
> > It seems kernels newer than 2.6.11, and especially 2.6.15,
> > by default won't turn the fan on when ACPI is enabled, until the
> > temperate is at "critical". That is usually 98C.
>
> The real problem is with most of these stamped out name brand notebooks
> is that they hide bios options. Did not use to be this way. My older
> clunkier of a gateway has APM and ACPI support on it both work in linux
> but the one nice thing about it is that I can control the fan from the
> bios. Which has not been in newer dells or gateway or hp's or compaqs I
> seen in the past 2 years.

One of the little known fact about BIOS's is that when a manufacturer get's a
version he usually changes it as he finds fit, without declaring the
modifications.

In other words we never know if a manufacturer has altered a BIOS for the
worse. We don't know if it's the BIOS developer or the h/w manufacturer
that's behind the problem you have with a BIOS.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.