Re: [SLUG] Linux Certification

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 14:31:19 EST

>>> On Mon, Mar 6, 2006 at 1:47 PM, in message
<703ba7320603061047h150b7289l8548a488487dbf3@mail.gmail.com>, "Robert
Waldo"
<rjw6844@gmail.com> wrote:
> does anyone know which is the most widely respected Linux
Certification? I
> have been researching LPI, Comptia's Linux+ and Redhat's RHCE and
RHCT. My
> choice is RHCE/RHCT because of their rapid growth over the past year.
> even read that their growth has exceeded Novell's last year. Novell
has a
> Linux Certification as well, but it sounds like a sinking ship at
the
> moment. I am partial to RedHat because it is the system that I
learned when
> I made the plunge.

Hmmm...Novell had 300% increase in subscriptions over the same period
last year with a substantial increase in revenue. I think you may be
reading some marketing FUD somewhere.
Novell's SUSE Linux is the leader in 64 bit systems, has the 2nd most
number of open source development staff (behind IBM), has firsts in 64
bit linux, linux on the mainframe, linux in retail (the list goes on)
and in the southeast has been converting RH installations faster than I
can keep up. Most fortune 500 in the Southeast that run linux, run SUSE
Linux.

The most respected certification is most definitely LPI. Novell's CLP
and CLE are based on LPI, but use a practicum for evaluation so it's a
little different than the LPI for certification.

I'm biased, but I view RH as a sinking ship at the moment - they have
one thing going for them at present - momentum, but momentum must be
sustained. Novell's 06Q1 numbers speak for themselves when it comes to
Linux growth.