Re: [SLUG] Linus interview

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 08:56:09 EST

>From: "Robert Snyder" <robertsnyder@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Linus interview
>Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:25:24 -0500
>
>So Mad scientist #2 simply creates his own hardware key ....
>
>Dish Network I am sure is against GPL3 why because they use linux in there
>products. Now the thing is that in there kernel they at times have to poll
>inforomation from the firmware which is not open source as it deals with
>security. Now the thing is if you look at dish linux code you will see
>that
>it is very well commented out. So while ther is coded that they given back
>that says hey we are pulling a hidden hardware key it does not stop anyone
>else from creating there own firmware with ther own key. The short and the
>simple of it is that GPL3 would be anti business. Businesses at times need
>to protect key information from others. That is how businesses stay alive
>by not showing al there cards.
>
>Stallman = Software communism
>
>Now that might be a little tough to swallow for some but I personally dont
>want some dingus writing licences that is going to dictate how I use and or
>alter a piece of software. If he wants to do that I think Microsoft is
>hiring.

The requirements of GPL 2 and the draft of GPL 3 are that everyone should
always have access to code without legal and/or technical barriers and that
they are required to return the favor. Basically, everyone (even those who
don't write the code) own it equally. Now if we were talking about a
tangible good then yes it would be similar to communism in some ways.
However, we are talking about ideas like recipes or how to tie a shoe lace
that come with the added benefit that they can be replicated very easily ad
infinitum.

RMS does not want Free Software hackers to dig their own graves by writing
code that is used by companies (like Dish Network) to enslave them and other
users. The reason that he created the FSF is to empower the user by ending
their reliance on software that is controlled by others. The draft of GPL 3
is completely in line with what his goals have always been--to protect the
Freedom of software users. There is simply some added clarification in order
to better protect users from companies who have tried to take advantage of
what might be considered bugs in GPL 2.

-Jonathon