Re: [SLUG] XMMS and song titles

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 23:47:29 EST

>From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] XMMS and song titles
>Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:20:25 -0500 (EST)
>
>On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Sick Twist wrote:
>
>>>From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
>>>Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:58:48 -0500 (EST)
>>>
>>>But when I do, synaptic says:
>>>
>>>,--
>>>| Packages |
>>>(/var/lib/apt/lists/exodus.xmms.se_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
>>>'--
>>>
>>>What, do I need to create that long dir name by hand? Shouldn't it do
>>>that?
>>
>>No, you don't need to create any directories when adding repositories. The
>>only thing one needs to do after adding a repository is to run "apt-get
>>update" ("sudo apt-get update" for you since you're using Ubuntu) to let
>>the system obtain a list of all of the packages that are available from
>>all of the repositories in the sources.list file. I've seen that error
>>before but I cannot remember offhand what causes it. I think that it
>>occurs when a repository is not online or if the computer cannot connect
>>to the Internet. Could you post a copy of your sources.list file so we can
>>make sure it looks OK.
>
>Glad you asked -- it's giving me fits.
>
>deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
>deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
>
>## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
>## distribution.
>deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
>deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
>
>## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
>## repository.
>## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
>## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
>## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
>## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
>## team.
>
>deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe
>deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe
>
>## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
>## repository.
>## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
>## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
>## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
>## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
>## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
>
>deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
>deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
>
>deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
> [...]

Wow--that's quite a list! Do you realize that with each unofficial
repository that you add you increase the probability of corrupting the
system?

By the way, you don't have to add a repository just to install a *.deb
package. Packages can be downloaded and installed with "sudo dpkg -i
package.deb". That way you don't add an entire repository that could contain
some conflicts with your system (e.g. glibc) when you only need one or two
packages from that repository (e.g. flash, libdvdcss2, java, etc.) Note that
the dpkg way of installing packages will report but not automatically
install dependencies. Dependencies will have to be installed manually via
apt-get.

Sometimes online repositories get flooded with traffic and are not
responsive when you attempt to do apt-get update or download a package from
them. The wine repository is one of those--especially during the days
following a new wine release. Do not let the errors reported by synaptic/apt
lead you to believe that something is wrong with your configuration. It is
just that the repository is temporarily unavailable.

If you do wish to use so many repositories, you may want to look into
apt-pinning. It is a way to prioritize repositories so that apt will know
what to do if the same version of a package is found in more than one place.

-Jonathon