Re: [SLUG] XMMS and song titles

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 08:37:15 EST

--- Sick Twist <thesicktwist@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
> >To: slug@nks.net
> >Subject: Re: [SLUG] XMMS and song titles
> >Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:58:48 -0500 (EST)
> >
> >http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/Download_XMMS2
> says (for Ubuntu 5.10,
> >which I run):
> >
> >,--
> >| Add the following line to your
> /etc/apt/sources.list (same line as debian
> >| above):
> >|
> >| deb http://exodus.xmms.se/debian stable main
> >'--
> >
> >But when I do, synaptic says:
> >
> >,--
> >| W: Couldn't stat source package list
> http://exodus.xmms.se stable/main |
> >Packages |
>
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/exodus.xmms.se_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
>
> >| - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> >'--
> >
> >What, do I need to create that long dir name by
> hand? Shouldn't it do
> >that?
> >
> > -- -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm
> >home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
> >

> No, you don't need to create any directories when
> adding repositories. The
> only thing one needs to do after adding a repository
> is to run "apt-get
> update" ("sudo apt-get update" for you since you're
> using Ubuntu) to let the
> system obtain a list of all of the packages that are
> available from all of
> the repositories in the sources.list file. I've seen
> that error before but I
> cannot remember offhand what causes it. I think that
> it occurs when a
> repository is not online or if the computer cannot
> connect to the Internet.
> Could you post a copy of your sources.list file so
> we can make sure it looks
> OK.
>
> -Jonathon

Can't stat ...whatever = can't find what you asked me
to look for. I've seen this happen with two
possibilities: 1 the spelling/capitalization is wrong,
or 2 there's something wrong with the way your asking
it to find something.. ie. running "hdparm" instead of
"./hpparm". Of course this could be different on
debian systems? I'm running a Redhat, so. What I do
is jump on lynx and go to the web site that hosts the
file and make sure that I have everything correct.
Not sure if that will work with a repository though.
Good Luck.

Rob