Re: [SLUG] "broken packages"

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 15:23:08 EST

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

>> Synaptic tells me I have two broken packages. How do I locate them, and
>> remove their remains?
>
> Is synaptic really not more helpful/specific than that? Yucko.

It's pretty terse, yeah. I even tried using the "search" or "locate" (or
whatever it's called... I'm not there and X through 802.11b is S L O W) menu
and looking for incomplete packages, no dice.

> You should try a "dpkg --configure -a" first, and see if dpkg finds
> any packages that are unfinished in some way. Next steps vary widely
> depending on how that goes, but finishing an incomplete --configure
> will often be enough. Let us know what happens.

There's a code in the first two characters of each line from "dpkg -l '*'"
(it's done, so I forgot, and I'll figure it out again next time) that shows
each package's status. Grepping on that revealed the correct packages to
remove.

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.