Re: [SLUG] Plug: Introducing Bake

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 22:14:33 EST

On 3/20/06, Jason Box (man <jasonb@edseek.com> wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 19:48, Dylan Hardison wrote:
> > Hi folks!
> >
> <snip>
> > It's also only about 4,000 lines of code, written in the wonderful
> > language O'Caml.

e> Why?

Why what?

Why did I write it?
1) It was fun. I learned about LALR(1) parsers, implementing a
language runtime...
2) I used to use make to build quite a lot of things (e,g slug stats,
some config files in /etc), and hated it. Bake is now powerful enough
to do everything I want. (And build itself).

Writing bake for me was like playing a first person shooter, except I
get a useful program at the end. :)