Re: [SLUG] Plug: Introducing Bake

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 22:43:56 EST

On 3/20/06, Jason Boxman <jasonb@edseek.com> wrote:
> Why OCAML. People complain Perl is line-noise, but OCAML. Wow. ;)

It isn't so bad. I have no problem reading it, and if other people do
you can use camlp4 to view it in the revised syntax.
If it is properly indented it looks quite nice, in my opinion.

O'Caml I chose because of speed and safety.
Neither perl nor python nor ruby nor scheme could offer the speed I'd want.
C is entirely unsuitable because I don't want to have to do memory management.

O'Caml is the only choice right now for a compiled to native code
language with garbage collection. It also has features like pattern
matching that other languages don't, except haskell and other dialects
of ML.

Well, I suppose I could have written it in haskell... But haskell is
pretty hard on the eyes too. Perhaps I could reimplement bake in
haskell at some point. But first I think I should release a 1.0. :)