[SLUG] channel bonding

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 12:05:00 EST

Hello all!

Anybody else here have experience with channel bonding? I've been using
a proprietary solution provided by Intel called IANS (Intel Advanced
Networking Services) up until this last series of server OS upgrades.
This has worked for load balancing and failover of NIC's. I'm now using
the 2.6 kernel and Intel says that they are no longer upgrading IANS to
support the 2.6 module format, etc. and are now in favor of native
kernel channel bonding. My switch is managed with bonding/port trunking
capabilities and they are enabled. Everything was fine with IANS but
the new channel bonding is giving me trouble.

Originally when I did the upgrade everything seemed fine with netperf
and iptraf. NFS works perfect and since most of what I do on the back
end uses NFS, I didn't notice the netatalk and samba speed problems
right away. smb and afp services are running at a tenth of the speed
they were before. It seems (from googling) that the native kernel
channel bonding creates conflicts with samba/smb and afp services.
Anybody have any input on this? I'm still googling but it's like
looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Thanks.

Mike Branda Jr.