Re: [SLUG] Re: slug] WiFI Ripoff

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 10:06:21 EST

On 3/30/06, R P Herrold <herrold@owlriver.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > Fellow sluggers, I am again on the road after a long several
> > sedate years in Tampa. I have found somethat that to me is a
> > rip-off, that is the paid WiFi sites, do not get me wrong I
> > am not against them charging something but ...
>
> ... and so your point is: Someone has built out an
> infrastructure, and advertised it well enough to entice you in
> to feeling you want to have it. You have not 'sprung' for the
> alternatives. You are not willing to pay for it.
>
> Welcome to reality. tanstaafl. I see no 'WiFI Ripoff' here.

No, I do not mind paying a reasonble amount, but the locations I am
talking about you have NO alternative (airport boarding lounge and the
turnpike service plazas) beyond that in all of the other places where I
have been there is more than one alternative, some free some paid,
it is the amount that they demand in return for the amount of service
given. I was in one location for a couple of hours and the other about
30 minutes, to have to give them $8-10 for that short amount of time
just is not reasonble. Of course I took the no subscribe alternative, though
I may have used the one at the Mephis airport, but the guy next to me was
trying to use a Mac and it would not let him on (ohh yes it DID bill his
credit card though) it appears that there was something the Sprint system
did not like about the Mac... I was running Linux on mine so that made
me even LESS interested in giving them $10 for a few hours access.

The issue I have is one of a monopoly at such locations, and as usery
prices.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;