Re: [SLUG] Nokia Linux Tablet ?

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 10:23:43 EST

Hey Mark,

Sony has some nice and very compact notebook PCs that I'm sure could
run Linux without a whole lot of hardware tweaking. Check out their
Sony Style shop over at Int'l Plaza. I spotted one PC over there where
the entire unit was roughly the size of a 3.5-inch hard drive and came
with a folding keyboard not unlike those you can buy for your PDA.

I advise against riding with a laptop anywhere on a scoot unless it's
in a backpack. The vibration on my v125 dislodged the motherboard in
my ThinkPad R51 (even though it was in a good notebook bag) and it had
to go out to New Jersey for repair. I've not had the same problem yet
with my iBook (but then it's in a well-padded and very snug computer
bag that's then tucked into a sport tailbag on the scooter when I have
to carry two laptops somewhere; otherwise it's in a backpack on my
back). I have recently replaced a bad hard disk in my iBook, but
can't confirm or deny whether that was caused by the scooter or not
(I've heard other horror stories about the Toshiba drives in iBook G4s
expiring after about a year, which is when mine tripped the S.M.A.R.T.
sensor). The good thing with that is that I now have a
5-year-warrantied and faster Seagate 100 GB drive in the iBook instead
of the original Toshiba 30 GB drive. :-)

I've seen Nokia's 770 but not tried it out. Haven't really had a
reason to since I now am proud owner of a Palm T|X (built-in Wi-Fi &
Bluetooth) and foldable wireless keyboard.