Re: [SLUG] WiFI Ripoff

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 19:26:53 EST

Bleeber wrote:

> As far as Tampa goes, Sago Networks is currently lighting up the whole
> down. The best spot to hit free access is the Park by the Lykes
> building but theya re planning on covering all of TPA by the end of
> the year.

As an aside, and not particularly to rag on Sagonet, but they just lost
a sale to me. I'm moving my and my customers' sites from their current
hosting company. I did massive research to determine who would fit my
needs, and one of the prime candidates was sagnonet. As with most of the
  prime candidates, I had some presales calls needed before making a
decision. Since sagonet was one of my prime picks, I called them. Got
hold of a sales guy who didn't really know much about their plans (at
least the technical parts I wanted to know about), and seemed...
indifferent about the whole thing. He suggested I post a tech support
question. Well, one of the things I was interested in was whether the
new company had any kind of phone support (even if just for
emergencies). So sending an email to support wasn't really going to make
it. So I called them back and punched the button for tech support. I sat
on the phone for twenty minutes, while their automated voice told me I
was first in line and would be the next up. I finally went on to the
next candidate.

Again, not to rag on sagonet per se. I'm not a big account for anyone.
But those little accounts can lead to big accounts, and they're
important on their own in terms of goodwill and referrals. If you're
going to run a technical business that deals with the public, you might
want to have actual technical people (who actually know something)
available, and have salesmen who don't sound like they're waiting for
the clock to strike 5pm.

Yeah I know. Good luck. ;-}

Paul

--