[SLUG] google.com redirected after connecting to hotspot

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2006 - 21:05:31 EDT

While doing a little wardriving yesterday I connected to an access point in
in the Zephyrhills area. While connected to the access point, my browser was
redirected to http://cuofzhills.com/hotspotmn.htm when I started browsing.
I've seen redirection like this this happen before when I've connected to
access points at hotels in the past so I was not too worried about it.
However, my laptop is still being redirected to this page even though I'm no
longer on the Zephyrhills access point and it has me a little worried. My
home page is set to google.com but every time I start my browser (Epiphany)
I see http://cuofzhills.com/hotspotmn.htm. Firefox does the same thing.

What configuration file could have been changed to cause this behavior?
Seems like it has something to do with domain name resolution but I'm not a
network expert. Is netstat the appropriate tool to use in this situation?

I'm running Ubuntu Dapper with Network-Manager enabled and I do not log in
as root. I'm a little concerned that a remote computer would have the
ability to permanently effect my network setup like this so any guidance
would be appreciated.

-Jonathon