[SLUG] loss of DMA

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 22:09:16 EDT

Hey SLUGgers.

I've been seeing these messages for the last few days in
/var/log/{messages,syslog}:

Apr 9 10:27:30 pc kernel: hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
Apr 9 10:27:32 pc kernel: hdb: DMA timeout error
Apr 9 10:27:32 pc kernel: hdb: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Apr 9 10:27:32 pc kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Apr 9 10:27:32 pc kernel: hda: DMA disabled
Apr 9 10:27:32 pc kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
Apr 9 10:27:32 pc kernel: ide0: reset: success

I only use hdb during an overnight block copy (hd[ab] are identical drives;
that's an automated backup), the rest of the time it's spun down. Normally
the backup takes an hour and change, and happens entirely while I sleep. If
I find it going when I get up, something's wrong.

This has happened for the last few days. In the past, I've been able to
re-enable dma with hdparm and it's happy for a few minutes. Today, I did
that a few times and the ide subsystem crashed.

How do I tell if it's the drive or the motherboard? If it's the
motherboard, can I just use a PCI IDE card? I made sure the cable
is seated. Heh. hda seems not to be affected. In fact, I ran "dd
if=/dev/hda bs=1k of=/dev/null" and didn't get an error (bs=1k was where I
saw the error today). I did the same thing successfully on hdb. So maybe
it's the "transferring data" part and not the "read from drive" part that
gives errors? Thanks.

CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...
but you know they're lying.  If I were you, I'd lock my doors and
windows and never never never never leave my house again.  -- Weird Al