Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 04:38:29 EDT

On Monday 10 April 2006 02:20, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Since many sites can share the same IP, is there any way to tell all
> the websites which share an IP?

This is an interesting question. I've looked at apache and dns but not found a
direct solution. Access to config files certainly would reveal these things,
but you are not likely to see them. It would seem that asking apache to tell
you what's there should be possible. Of course it's late and I'm tired so I
might not see the obvious, like netstat -na.

I think it's an intersting problem to solve. Only wished I could answer this
on better.

> 2. Assuming you have a "reseller account" with a hosting company, where
> they give you two IPs for your sites, is it possible or probable that
> they have also given someone else those same IPs? Is this common
> practice or not?

It used to be a very common practice as it saves them money. You paid
something like $80 for a class C (as an ISP, cost broken down from a class B)
back in the 90's. Of course back then the Internet had woken up to the scary
idea of running out of IP's.

But everything still cost money someplace. It makes a lot of sense for an ISP
to split up each IP. So I'm totally sure it's very very common.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.