Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 14:45:14 EDT

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 14:22, Levi Bard wrote:
> > You may ask (as my previous hosting company did) why I don't use the
> > SMTP server for my ISP. Simple. Almost since the beginning of my being
> > on the internet, I've used *this* email address. I'd question a fellow
> > from IBM or HP sending me official communications from an AOL address.
> > Those guys all have ibm.com or hp.com email addresses, as they should.
> > Now, of course, we're nowhere near as big as IBM or HP, but I think the
> > principle is the same. I may (and I have) change ISPs. But my company
> > will be on the internet as long as I own the company. So that email
> > address is stable. And as long as it doesn't get blocked, I'm fine. But
> > when my business email gets bounced, I start to get very cranky about
> > the state of affairs in the hosting market, and tech support at those
> > same companies.
>
> Is there any reason you can't/won't route your outgoing mail through
> your ISP's server (still using your own domain/email addresses),
> similar to the way home users with their own domains do with
> RR/Earthlink/etc?

The outbound IP of the ISP's SMTP server is sometimes blacklisted ...

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.