Re: [SLUG] weird web site viewer

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 00:58:48 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, steve szmidt wrote:

>>> I don't have a firewall. I tried using the router, but it doesn't have
>>> such a (useful) thing. NAT keeps most things out, but I explicitely let
>>> http in. :-( I figure running as few things as I can get away with
>>> lets
>>> me get acceptable performance from a computer after it's deemed "too
>>> slow"
>>> by most people.
>>

>> Well, I'd argue that you Do have a firewall. On your computer. You
>> have port
>> forwarding to your cmputer. Use the firewall and the hosts.allow/deny
>> files.
>

> Well yeah, hosts_access is sort of a firewall. But didn't you make a
> distinction a few lines up, in

> ?

Firewall, as in iptables. It's easier to set up on a different system,
but can be done on the machine you're running. In fact, the blocking of
an IP address can be done there, as well as with hosts.deny. Hosts.deny
has almost zero flexibility, compared to iptables. There are scripts and
packages out there which will automate the process of building iptables
scripts. Otherwise, you need to know the internals of how iptables work
in order to roll your own rules.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster