Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 09:36:31 EDT

>>> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 9:20 AM, in message
<8e6702750604240620i59d9b752n5a69d21c7b9619ce@mail.gmail.com>, "Tina
Gasperson"
<tinahdee@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, is DRM the end of the road for Linux on the desktop? I mean, if
> we're not willing to accept DRM, what is the alternative for people
> who want to be able to download/stream mainstream movies, music, and
> other content? Is there an alternative to DRM that will enable that?

Hardly. The problem that is being created will eventually force
change.

There are projects like Banshee that are forging relationships and
writing open source code to work around the current intellectual
property issues that exist in some codecs - One example of such change.

What's interesting is that Linux in all forms - not just desktop - is
starting to make these DRM happy companies to re-think their strategy.

JP