Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 10:09:42 EDT

On Monday 24 April 2006 09:20, Tina Gasperson wrote:
> So, is DRM the end of the road for Linux on the desktop? I mean, if
> we're not willing to accept DRM, what is the alternative for people
> who want to be able to download/stream mainstream movies, music, and
> other content? Is there an alternative to DRM that will enable that?

Would you promote random killing of some people because the streets are
getting crowded? It's just as nuts.

No. It's not the end at all. Just operate within the law. DRM is not there to
let you watch mainstream movies. It might let you do that but at an horrible
Orwellian expense.

DRM is there to ensure Microsoft does not go out of business or loose market
share to pesky things like Open Source. It is being touted as security for
the masses but does NOT include ANY security for the masses. Unless you feel
having some entity entrusted with ensuring you only use your computer
according to the way they feel.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.