Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 13:01:21 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> Levi Bard wrote:
>>> See my point was that DRM was not the only solution for copy righted
>>> content. But as a component of the desktop. See what I dont understand
>>> is
>>> people will watch drm DVDs but music everyone throws a fit.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure you're older than I am, and if you don't remember the
>> absolute fits people threw about DVD-CSS, then you may need to ask
>> your doctor about some kind of proactive Alzheimers treatment.
>>

> I'm pretty sure I'm older than both of you, and I don't remember this.
> Yes, in the Linux and free software community, but otherwise I don't
> recall Joe L. User squawking very loud about this.
>
> *We* bitch about a lot of things, and the computer press bitches about a
> lot of things, but most of them aren't even a blip on the radar of the
> average computer user.

Indeed.

The problem is freedom slipped out of the bottle with digital music. People
like it.

If DVDs originally shipped without forced segments or you could optionally
'just play' the movie, then along came a system where your original
experience was crippled, I think people would take offense.

DRM is attempt to reconcile this situation with all current and future
digial media.

It must fail.