Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 23:48:46 EDT

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 21:56, Ken Elliott wrote:

> (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
> copyrighted work.
> ----
>
> So it would appear that copying songs and sharing said copies would effect
> item 4. I believe Paul is quite accurate.

The thing is I did not say run off 1000 copies, I did not get into the details
at all. Yeah I was not specific as we were discussion sharing music with
friends. For the last 50(?) years we have been able to make copies of all
sorts of things with no problem.

I see students usually not being too well off financially. I believe they are
the biggest percentage of music pirates. They copy and share widely. However
most people coming into the earning of income, hears music he likes and then
buys it. Which is mainly an anti DMCA argument. I think the RIAA is shooting
itself in both feet.

Recording of movies from TV has been legal since VCR's came out. So was music
of the radio. It has been considered fair use. The DMCA is being used to try
to change that. And in the few cases it say the day of light in court it has
not faired as well as expected.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.