Re: [SLUG] DVD media size

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 00:29:37 EDT

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Bob Stia wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 May 2006 16:28, Eben King wrote:
>
>> Problem: DVDs use the "HD vendor" definition of GB, 10^9 B, whereas ls and
>> friends use the "everywhere else in computers" definition of GB, 2^30 B.
>> 4.7 * 10^9 B = 4.38 * 2^30 B. And 4.5 > 4.38. Did you take that into
>> account?
>
> Noooooo...Because all of the mailing lists dealing with ripping/copying
> say to keep it under 4.7GB and it will work OK.

They're probably dealing primarily with users of a two-bit OS which instead
of reporting file size in some appropriately-sized unit, always uses
something tiny. So they see a file size of 4,500,000 KB and that's OK,
since 4,500,500 KB (using 1024 B/KB) is 4.29 * 2^30 B, which fits. But if
you see "4.5 GB", that's greater than the DVD capity of 4.38 GB, so it won't
fit.

> Could have sworn that media from a different manufacturer (Memorex) could
> handle an "everywhere else in computers" file size of 4.5GB.

Dunno. I think DVD format (and hence capacity) is standardized.
Overburning works sometimes on CDs; I haven't tried it on DVDs, but it's
worth a shot. Try dummy/practice/test mode first.

TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna
do, cry about it?  The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up,
do a bunch of stuff and then go back to sleep.  -- Weird Al