Re: [SLUG] Zip to County List

From: Anthony DiPierro (slug@inbox.org)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 17:48:04 EDT

On 5/3/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 May 2006 16:56, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > By the way, is your software going to be free? Any chance I can get a
> > free copy if not? I do tax preparation and wind up looking up about
> > 10-20 counties a year manually by searching through the internet. Not
> > enough to pay for a solution, but a free tool wouldn't be so bad :).
>
> You're welcome to the code related to the above. It's designed as part of a
> particular web solution. You'll need a web server with php and a sql db. (I
> could host it but I don't know if I want to, as others can easily tune in and
> eact up my bandwidth. I have had some thought about setting up a page with a
> number of custom solutions, and google ads. So we'll see.)
>
> I'll make an announcement when it's ready. It's very easy to throw together a
> simple web lookup so I'll probably make one specifically that you can use. If
> I only have FL that will limit the load...

Heh, it's the small portion of clients *outside* Florida that are the
hard ones to look up :). Anyway, I guess if I get a copy of the data
I could just throw it into a spreadsheet file. Still easier than
putting the address into the USPS form to find the county, finding the
website of whatever state's government, and looking it up there, I
guess.

Hope the links I gave you are enough. Let me know if not. I think I
have some other stuff around here somewhere, I used to be into all
that GIS stuff.

Anthony