Re: [SLUG] gnucash

From: Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com)
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 02:27:34 EDT

On Sunday 07 May 2006 02:15, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Possum wrote:
> > I hope this isn't off-topic, but...
> >
> > Does anyone know any accounting-style programs for Linux that are
> > compatable with Quickbooks files and suitable for small businesses
> > (even if it costs money)? This is the only thing holding my parents
> > back from switching to Linux.
>
> Having dealt with accounting programs one way or another for many years,
> I don't personally know of a single accounting program that will use
> another accounting program's files directly. Imported records in QIF
> format or something like it, maybe.

Accounting is a complicated thing for a business, anyway, so I'd advocate
retaining Intuit, as much as I dislike their business practices, and run it
off a VMWare instance of Windows. Or Crossover Office might work, if it
supports recent version of Quicken or Quick Books Pro.

For something as important as accounting I wouldn't screw around. GnuCash
isn't quite, and probably won't ever be, there. (It doesn't support features
like 'year end' and reports must be authored by hand in scheme.) There isn't
enough incentive to produce a free software suite to handle the complexity of
business accounting.

--

Jason Boxman http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff