Re: [SLUG] DVD authoring

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 02:19:27 EDT

On Mon, 8 May 2006, Levi Bard wrote:

>> Thanks. I found out the file is 352 x 480; is that going to be a problem,
>> or will dvdauthor recode it to a standard DVD resolution?
>
> Eek. No, dvdauthor won't do it. However, you can reencode the file
> with mencoder or ffmpeg. ffmpeg is probably easiest: `ffmpeg -i
> input.mpg -target ntsc-dvd -r 29.970 output.mpg`

Found allowed resolutions for DVD:

,--
| Note that the DVD format only specifically supports 720x480,
| 704x480, 352x480, and 352x240 resolutions for NTSC
'--

and it goes on and lists other for PAL.

So, assuming I can get the video recorded in one of those (which I can), do
you know a way to skip the recoding step? It seems like the video goes
through a lot of transformations; that can't be good for it.

Also, the sound from this DVR comes out really quiet. PITA; I have the
stereo cranked up to compensate. A bit jarring when I switch inputs.

But that's not what I wanted to talk about.

As I can't find a way to get ffmpeg to amplify the sound during
conversion, I instead do it externally. I separate the audio:

ffmpeg -i movie.mpg -f wav temp-sound.wav

check its level:

sox temp-sound.wav junk.nul stat -v

(returns "5.245")

amplify it:

sox -v 5.2 temp-sound.wav sound.wav

(brings the loudest peaks to 99.14% of maximum amplitude; sox reports
"1.009", which is consistent)

and merge that with the video during conversion:

ffmpeg -i movie.mpg -i sound.wav -target dvd -b 4000 -ss 0:08:12 -t 1:55:59
-s 352x240 -map 0:1 -map 1:0 movie-352x240.vob

(the original is 352x240)

But, when I re-extract the sound from the vob and check its level, it's
around half as loud as when it went in (not exactly half; then I'd be REALLY
suspicious). Is this an artifact of the conversion to ac3, or is there some
option that I don't notice that controls this?

ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
watermelon in your colon.  Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then
give a hickey to Meryl Streep.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_