Re: [SLUG] Firefox

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 19:25:04 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> Theses are more FF questions than Linux ones (unless the behaviors are
> Linux-specific), but here goes:
>
> How do I stop the temporary popup images (such as on
> http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_schedule/index.jhtml)? Gotta have JS
> for that page's functionality. :-( Looks like I screwed up testing it,
> though -- I removed some ad-related cookies but not other, and now the
> script is wedged. Lousy error handling. But I digress.

I get no popups with 32bit firefox 1.5.0.3 with flash enabled going to
http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_schedule/index.jhtml

I also get no popups with 64bit firefox 1.0.8 without flash going to the
same page.

I've tried with the adblock plugin enabled and disabled under 32bit,
same effect.

> Also, exiting from X doesn't seem to trigger FF's "only keep cookies
> during this session" semi-automatic cookie removal. Is there a way to
> remove cookies older than X days that I can run as desired?
>
> Also, http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/schedule.jsp?channel=DSC
> spawns a popup (when I forget and have JS on, and yes, I have [X]
> Block Popup Windows, and no no variant of that site is listed in
> "Allowed Sites", and no, I don't have Flash. What's the deal?

Trying that same link here: no popups. Same as above.

> Since my computer runs Ubuntu, this is version 1.0. (Is there an
> upgrade that doesn't involve too much mucking about in the OS innards?)

I'm running Ubuntu breezy on an amd64 box.

Most of my browsing now is using a 32bit Firefox 1.5.0.3 (for flash, etc).

What version of Firefox are you running? Does upgrading help?

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/