Re: [SLUG] Interesting Citrix problem

From: Tom Suzda (tsuzda@verizon.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 17:39:48 EDT

On Thursday 11 May 2006 5:02 pm, you wrote:
> Tom Suzda wrote:

> >> The first question is what version of Citrix? I use Presentation
> >> Server 3.0 here, and printing works just fine to Linux. it uses
> >> the Citrix GPD (Generic Print Driver). I'm also using the Citrix
> >> client for Linux and it works very well... Also, the drive mapping
> >> works if you set it up properly.
> >
> > Not really sure what version they're using. The screen says to
> > login to the Citrix Metaframe XP server, enter your.........
> >
> > I've googled, read a number of white papers from Citrix, and I know
> > that you can print from linux, just enter the printer driver name
> > in the ini file. Unfortunately, I tried the HP LaserJet 4/4M, just
> > plain 4, and almost every other variation I can think of. I also
> > read about the Universal Print Driver, but what's it called so I
> > can enter it in the ini file? My LaserJet is an old 4 that I juiced
> > up with 24 Megs ram and postscript, so it prints postscript
> > natively under linux.
> >
> > Like I mentioned, the linux client works fine, it's just a printing
> > issue based on the server end.

> >---- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by
> > Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in
> > messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily
> > reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its
> > employees.
>
> I misspoke. The driver is the Universal Print Driver, and something
> they need to have on the other end. I'm not sure how advanced it was
> in MetaFrame XP, but if its there, the printer should map properly.
> If it does not print under the print menu they may not have it
> configured properly. I would say ask their admin if they have the
> Universal Print Driver installed.

That's pretty much what I asked them. Whether they had printer
autocreation turned on, and what printer drivers they were using. The
answer I got back was they were using Simplify Printing from triCerat
for the printing functions.

The other option that one of their guys mentioned was VMware or some
other Windows emulation. I am working on WINE, and I can get the ICA
client for Win32 installed with no problem as well as the Simplify
Printing client. I can log into the Citrix server, but as soon as I try
to launch and application, I get an encryption error. "You must have
128-bit SSL support installed....." I'm still trying to work that part
out, and if I can, it should solve the issue. I can log into my bank
with the same browser, so I know I have 128-bit support.

Well, it gives me something to do in my spare time...