Re: [SLUG] process CPU use

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 18:58:30 EDT

On Fri, 12 May 2006, chris lee wrote:

> On 5/12/06, Kwan Lowe <kwan@digitalhermit.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a way to launch a process (or modify an existing one) to force
>> > it to use no more than X% of the CPU? With continual 100% use my CPU
>> > gets rather warm. Sure, I can "nice" it, but that only makes it more
>> > readily yield the CPU to other processes; if nothing else demands the
>> > CPU it'll still use 100%. Is the only solution in hardware, something
>> > like a Peltier device and a big honkin' heat sink?
>>
>> You can try using the cpuspeed command to throttle the hardware. I use it
>> to switch my laptop to a 600MhZ mode to conserve battery when just
>> browsing the web.

> depending on the board and CPU you could underclock it, its a bit
> involved but if you email me the specs i might be able to walk you
> through it.

Oh, I don't want to slow _all_ processes down, just some long-running,
CPU-bound conversions.

Anyhow, I know the multiplier is locked on most Athlons. Couldn't I just
change the bus speed in the BIOS from 133 MHz to say 100 MHz?

Drive nail here > < for new monitor. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.