RE: [SLUG] Theme From A Movie

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 18:32:11 EDT

On Sun, 14 May 2006, Kwan Lowe wrote:

>>> I've seen this happen often.. It occurs when the recording is done at a
>>> faster Hz than the playback. WAV is apparently a fixed speed,
>>
>> I don't think so. I've recorded 22.05 kHz and 44.1 kHz WAVs, and converted
>> between them. The file sizes attest that it's not merely a faked sample
>> rate. WAVs may have a limited set of valid rates, though.
>>
> Yes -- I think we're talking about the same thing. A 22.06 KhZ wav file is
> exactly half of a 44.1KhZ wav. How I understand it is that the WAV format
> is just a series of measurements taken at x number of intervals per
> second. It's fixed to what it was recorded at because each data point is
> directly equivalent to a sample point unlike some other formats that
> encode time and other information in the data/stream.
>
> So to change the sample rate of a WAV you'd need to change the header and
> downsample or upsample the data. I.e., if you convert a 22 KhZ to a 44 KhZ
> you double the number of samples programmatically or vice versa.

Or you can change it from 22 to 44 by doubling the speed, like playing a 33
rpm record at 45, which is what I did and what he wants (well, not double,
but same idea). That just changes the "play at this many samples per
second" number in the header. I don't know if that can be any random
number.

ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
watermelon in your colon.  Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then
give a hickey to Meryl Streep.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_