Re: [SLUG] automatically breaking up large print jobs

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 21:24:19 EDT

On 5/19/06, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2006, baris nema wrote:
>
> > I have a laser printer hooked up to my Linux print server (fedora core 4),
> > and unfortunately whenever I send a large print job (more then 4 pages) to
> > the printer it jams up. I am looking for a way to have my print server (I'm
> > using cups), to automatically print 3-4 pages, pause for a minute, print
> > another 3-4 pages, pause a minute, and keep going in that manner till the
> > print job is over. Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Instead of printing direcly to cups, I guess you could write a script (that
> you print to instead) that sends the job as-is with the additional
> instruction to print pages 1-3, sleep 60, sends it with the instruction to
> print pages 4-6, sleep 60, etc. I guess the script should get cups' status
> and wait until it's idle before it sends the next batch. (Can cups handle
> multiple printers? Do you _have_ multiple printers?)

Script is right track, but likely best to have the script act as a new
cups backend. That way he doesn't have to jump through hoops to
print from various applications. Just print to printer named
LaserSplit (for example) configured to use the split script backend,
which in turn sends the output to printer named Laser using whatever
backend he had originally configured.

~ Daniel