Re: [SLUG] Apple + Linux

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 12:41:15 EDT

>>> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:43 AM, in message
<4ce3ca360605220843k282ebbdbyb3e7446b9d2cc841@mail.gmail.com>,
"Everett
Attebury" <everettattebury@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 20:28, michael hast wrote:
>> > Hey, everybody!
>> >
>> > Well, my wife has been wanting a Mac for some time now. Good
grief,
>> > those things are expensive! Well, I didn't want to spring for a
new one
>> > and have her not like it or even be ho- hum about it, so I found
her a
>> > nice, used G4 to play with. Of course, in this household, there
will be
>> > some Linux time on that machine. It comes pre- loaded with OS
10.4 and a
>> > bunch of Adobe software, but there are no disks with any of that.
>> > have an extra little hard drive that would work just fine for a
>> > Yellowdog install, but I'm wondering if I can set up a dual- boot
on it
>> > between the two hard drives without screwing anything up.
>> > Do any of you have experience in this area? What I have
learned
>> > from in my Googling is that Yellowdog likes to be on the first
partition
>> > on the first drive. I wonder if I could put the existing drive on
the
>> > other connector on the ribbon cable, re- jumper it as slave, slap
the
>> > other hard drive in, install YDL to it and call it a day. That
sounds
>> > like a really good way to wipe out several hundred dollars worth
of
>> > software to me! Anyway, any insight would be welcomed and
cherished.
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> Grub handles that easily. (Read the doc, it's pretty easy.)
>>
>> What you do is make the Linux box the first drive so that it can
load grub
>> and
>> give you the dual boot choice.
>>
>> Then use the grub command to fool OSX to think it is the first
drive. Just
>> like you would with windows.
>>
>> This way you are not at all altering OSX and can dump linux later.
>>
>> This is one way of doing it:
>>
>> title Old2000Kernel
>> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>> chainloader +1
>>
>> When you install Linux you don't even need to have the OSX drive
>> connected.
>> Though some installers are good with recognizing aother OS's and
>> automatically add them to grub.
>>
>> If I'm not sure I just disable the other OS and do my Linux
install.

>> --
>>
>> Steve Szmidt
>>

> No, Michael said he bought a G4 Mac, and that would use yaboot as
the
> bootloader, not grub.
>

> OS X can boot from firewire, so one solution would be to use Carbon
Copy
> Cloner to copy the OS X disk to a firewire disk, and then use the
internal
> drive for Linux.
>
> OS X and Linux can live on the same hard drive. I've got an old G3
iMac
> that I've installed Ubuntu and Debian on. I bought an external
firewire
> hard drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the OS X drive, then
> re- formatted and partitioned the internal drive, then copied the OS
X back.
> I remember it was all a bit of a pain, but I learned a lot about
> partitioning in the process.
>
> The Ubuntu install went smooth except for the X configuration, which
took a
> bit of research to figure out. Later, I did a netinstall and
replaced the
> Ubuntu with Debian so I could use some newer versions of a few apps.
>
> The newly released Suse 10.1 has install disks for PPC, and I think I
will
> try that on the iMac next. I put it on my Compaq and it was the
easiest
> install I've ever done, very slick.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that Flash, RealPlayer, and Java aren't
> available for Linux on PPC.

Java by Blackdown (http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/)
is available for PPC as is IBM's java. Not sure about running on the
Apple specific PPC...I'll claim ignorance there. Can't speak for Flash
or Real.

JP