Re: [SLUG] DMA off?

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 18:50:00 EDT

>> I have about twenty drives running throughout the house and whenever I see
>> that message it's always been a matter of time (usually days) before the
>> drive fails.
>
> Which drive, then, hdb? Or do I need to put them on separate busses and see
> where the error goes? Could it be the motherboard controller?

It looks like the errors are occurring on HDB causing the controller to turn off DMA
in an attempt to get valid data. Since both drives are on the same controller, the
first drive also gets DMA turned off.

I've only had one controller fail in years, but have had lots and lots of drives
fail with that DMA error. On average I send back a drive every 10 weeks (about 5 a
year).

Here's my latest (very similar to yours)

May 15 17:01:01 helios crond(pam_unix)[3460]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)
May 15 17:01:01 helios crond(pam_unix)[3460]: session closed for user root
May 15 17:13:12 helios kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
May 15 17:13:30 helios kernel: hda: DMA timeout error
May 15 17:13:30 helios kernel: hda: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest }

In this case hda turned out to be bad. To make sure I enabled smartd for the disks.
Once it was reporting errors, I ran the maxtor disk utilities (downloadable from
Maxtor/Seagate). It failed the disk on that machine. I popped the drive into another
machine and it also failed there (BTW, this deletes all info on the disk). I figure
the drive will last another week or so before dying since the first smartd reports
were on may 12.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com