[SLUG] [SFD] Software Freedom Day 2006

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 11:38:46 EDT

Fellow Free software enthusiasts,

Software Freedom Day[1] will take place this year on Saturday, September
16th. Some of you may recall the fabulous SFD events that members of SLUG
organized and participated in last year. In 2005, both the Tampa[2] and
Sarasota-Bradenton[3] SFD teams were very successful in educating the public
about the existence of and benefits of using Free software. However, if
there was one thing that we learned last year from the process, it is that
SFD planning should begin well in advance in order to secure a location at
which to hold the event, gather SFD materials, and invite the press and
public to visit us on SFD.

This year, I plan on working to organize a Tampa-based event for SFD and I
welcome the help of any who would like to join me. However, if you are
unable to be involved with the Tampa team, please take a look at the SFD
Start Guide[4] and consider forming your own local team in order to spread
awareness of Free software. The official SFD wiki* is a great way to
collaborate SFD plans with other members of your team. Also, I suggest
prefixing the subject of SFD-related e-mail with [SFD] on the SLUG list in
order to ease filtering.

Looking forward to September 16th,
Jonathon Conte

*There is a new, official wiki[5] for SFD this year. Those who registered
last year will need to do so again this year in order to edit its pages. Our
content on the old wiki is in the process of being moved to the new wiki.

[1] http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
[2] http://softwarefreedomday.org/gallery/2005/Tampa
[3] http://softwarefreedomday.org/gallery/2005/Sarasota-Bradenton
[4] http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/StartGuide