Re: [SLUG] DMA off?

From: Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2006 - 00:32:21 EDT

On Saturday 03 June 2006 00:23, Eben King wrote:
<snip>
> OK, that drive is dying. Time to replace it. Now, if it fails, is it
> likely to prevent me from using DMA on it, or prevent me from accessing the
> drive at all?

It's safe to assume that any failure is fatal. I sent someone one of my dead
drives once and he extracted the logic board and revived his dead disk of the
same model and revision, but it seems mechanical failure is far more likely.

You can find used PCI ATA adapters on Ebay for <$20 shipped for ATA 66, which
is plenty fast for even a modern disk. ATA 100 controllers can also
sometimes be had for under $20 shipped. (All used, of course, but I have two
used cards running right now and they're running just fine, along with two
used 3Ware 7xxx series cards.)

--

Jason Boxman http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff