Re: [SLUG] command line

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 08:14:10 EDT

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 21:55, William Coulter wrote:
> What is a good version of linux to learn the command line on? My skills
> are lacking and I want to improve them.

As others have answered, any Linux distro at heart is just like any Unix, the
basic tools are all there. Only difference really is that Linux CLI tools are
GNU based, so some switches work a bit differently from say native Solaris or
AIX (though you can get GNU tools for them). Even those distros with all
their fancy admin tools still have the basics to use. I prefer Slackware
("the most Unix of Linux distros!") and the BSDs like OpenBSD, and they for
the most part make you use the basic CLI commands to admin the box. But
you'll find the same tools there you'd find on Fedora or Suse. The part of
the fun: moving around between different versions of Unix will teach you a
lot about Unix, far beyond if you only use just one version.

If you're talking about basic commands like mv, cp, dd, ifconfig, route, vi,
lp/pr/lpr etc, any Unix whatsover will have those, with subtle differences.
Learn them on one Unix, and you'll be at home at another quickly.