Re: [SLUG] scp problems

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 22:58:25 EDT

> I can't scp files into my box. "Out of" works. This puts a crimp on my
> activities remotely, as you might imagine. I can log in via ssh from the
> same IP address, no problem. Here are the logs when I'm trying a transfer
> (it transfers 16k then hangs):
>
> ==> auth.log <==
> Jun 27 18:42:01 pc CRON[4491]: (pam_unix) session opened for user eben by (uid=0)
> Jun 27 18:42:01 pc CRON[4491]: (pam_unix) session closed for user eben
> Jun 27 18:42:11 pc sshd[4497]: Accepted password for eben from 131.247.xxx.xxx port
> 2779 ssh2
> Jun 27 18:42:11 pc sshd[4519]: (pam_unix) session opened for user eben by (uid=0)
> Jun 27 18:42:11 pc sshd[4519]: subsystem request for sftp
>
> I tried using pscp instead of WinSCP, and using/not using compression, and
> forcing pscp to sftp or scp -- same deal. What should I look at?

Check and make sure that the /etc/ssh/sshd_config has a proper entry for the sftp
subsystem. By default it's:

  Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

SElinux can sometimes interfere with that process.

It seems that you also need scp in the *system* path when you connect.

If this doesn't resolve, you can put the ssh server into debug mode by changing
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:

   LogLevel DEBUG

Restart the SSH server:

   service sshd restart

Then try connecting via scp:

   scp -vvv foo remotehost:

This should give you lots of info in /var/log/authlog (or messages depending on your
log setup).

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com