Re: [SLUG] Need Text reader

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 10:44:00 EDT

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:

> I need to be able to send text out for a simple help system. What I need
> is something that will read text down to some sort of break symbol or
> group of symbols and then stop, prompt the user for a carrage return or
> space or some other control character in order to send more text.
>
> I have tried less, more and the man pages reader, all work OK as long as
> the request comes from a local connection, as soon as the connection to
> the local device has to go through one or more nodes, (this is a packet
> switch for a packet radio network) when any of the above sends text it
> sends the whole thing, I think it is probably a issue with the handling of
> the screens, but I need to be able to control the pagination on the text
> file end, I tried the contols in less (-z and -y) but to no avail, I still
> get the whole dump when I request the info.
>
> So I guess what I am looking for is a very dumb 'more' which allows me to
> control the number of lines sent based on characters in the text file it's
> self.

Try this:

#! /bin/bash

textfile="$1"
prompt="Press enter to continue: "
my_tty=`tty`

while read line ; do
     if echo "$line" | grep -q -e '^-$' ; then
         read -p "$prompt" junk < $my_tty
         echo
     else
         echo "$line"
     fi
done < "$textfile"

Invoke like so:

dumb_more filename

Have a line consisting only of a dash to pause. That bit about reading
directly from the TTY may not work with your setup; dunno. I tried "while
read line < "$textfile" ; do" but it would reread the first line every time
through the loop.

--
A well-loved and correctly trained domestic canine is generally
slobbery, excitable, noisy, scatalogically obsessed, xenophobic,