Re: [SLUG] Need Text reader

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 11:44:04 EDT

On 7/4/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:

> >> Try this:
> >>
> >> #! /bin/bash
> >>
> >> textfile="$1"
> >> prompt="Press enter to continue: "
> >> my_tty=`tty`
> >>
> >> while read line ; do
> >> if echo "$line" | grep -q -e '^-$' ; then
> >> read -p "$prompt" junk < $my_tty
> >> echo
> >> else
> >> echo "$line"
> >> fi
> >> done < "$textfile"
> >
> > Well, I thought it was going to work but then as soon as I did the test
> > where I connected to the system from a distant location I got the same
> > thing the whole file is dumped to me.
>
> Huh. That's a failure mode I hadn't anticipated. Is it printing the prompt
> at appropriate places? What file are you using to test it?
>
> --
Here is what it looks like when I am on the console of the machine that I am
working on

This is just the first piece up to the break:

===========begin dump ============

KP4DJT-8 (Commands = ?) : 411
411 Info for 813 area
The 813 area presently consist of the following operational Switches:

KC5QCN:
Located on the County Building in downtown Tampa at about 350ft. agl.
Node call:
KC5QCN-8.
Level 3 call:
KC5QCN-9.
X.121 Address 813224.
OS and ver:
DOS FPAC ver DWJ-2.0r6-C.
Facilities:
None, DOS based.
Administrator:
TPALAN.

NOTES:
TPALAN is in the process of gathering equipment to convert this switch
to FPAC Linux.

Press enter to continue:

==============end of dump ===============

Now I will show you a partial screen of the same file when requested as
though I was a remote user on the network trying to get info on that part-
cular switch, in this case I have connected to a switch in Paris, France
and then issued a connect back to the test switch. Once at the command
prompt I type the 411 command and get the whole file dumped I will send
you the upper part of the file along with the link setup info:

F6BVP-10 (Commands = ?) : usa
Trying KP4DJT-8 @ 3100,813626... Type <RETURN> to abort
*** Connected to KP4DJT-8 @ 3100,813626 (Escape: ~. )
FPAC-Node v 3.26 (F6FBB - Dec 18 2002) for LINUX (help = h)

KP4DJT-8 (Commands = ?) : 411
411 Info for 813 area
The 813 area presently consist of the following operational Switches:

KC5QCN:
Located on the County Building in downtown Tampa at about 350ft. agl.
Node call:
KC5QCN-8.
Level 3 call:
KC5QCN-9.
X.121 Address 813224.
OS and ver:
DOS FPAC ver DWJ-2.0r6-C.
Facilities:
None, DOS based.
Administrator:
TPALAN.

NOTES:
TPALAN is in the process of gathering equipment to convert this switch
to FPAC Linux.

KP4DJT
Located in Palm River, this is a test switch so facilites may change
Node call:
KP4DJT-8

There should have been a prompt between Linux and KP4DJT, but there
is nothing and it just dumps the whole thing.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;