[SLUG] Is RAID worth doing?

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 11:44:50 EDT

Would RAID-1 be a good idea to avoid the problems from that "yearly" HD crash?

A partition on my 160 GB drive that holds my Suse9.2 came up with errors.
Fortunately, it was a partition that held some old backup files so nothing
important was lost. I do have my important data files well backed up, but if
the partition holding the system fails it takes a lot of time to get
everything setup. I was wondering if RAID-1 with a second HD would be better
than, say, merely copying the whole partition, or some similar backup scheme.

Don