Re: [SLUG] Is RAID worth doing?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 12:37:31 EDT

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:03, Eben King wrote:
>
>> Well, I'd be very hesitant to back up to the same device. Yes, it
>> protects you from random filesystem damage, but I had a (30GB?) drive
>> where the best I could figure was the head periodically went across the
>> entire disk writing garbage. It wouldn't protect you from that, or from
>> any one of other systemic failures.
>
> You are right but he's not looking at backing up to the same device if he has
> raid-1.

True, but that's what's happening now. Or have I misread this:

,--
| A partition on my 160 GB drive that holds my Suse9.2 came up with errors.
| Fortunately, it was a partition that held some old backup files so nothing
| important was lost.
'--

I'm just saying that in my case, I looked at RAID and others, and chose my
current system. Presumably my requirements aren't _too_ bizarre...

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
LEO:  Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple