Re: [SLUG] Is RAID worth doing?

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 13:41:47 EDT

On Thursday 13 July 2006 13:14, Ian C. Blenke wrote:

> There is an easy solution to that without running lilo for each drive
> (this is what I do):
> 1. Lilo is raid aware, in that you can install a bootsector to /dev/md0.

Mm, here I was thinking lilo was a "goner".

> I did try grub. I usually prefer grub on my personal single-drive
> systems (like laptops). Unfortunately, grub isn't so software raid
> aware. The best you can hope for there is to install grub on both
> drives, changing the BIOS device to 0x80 when you install to each so
> that either drive can boot as primary master and the system will
> continue booting.

I've only used grub once it was released. True you can just add the grub
command to identify another drive as the 0x80 (first) drive. Forgot about
that one. A rather simple solution.

> >For this reason I prefer h/w raid. Now raid is loaded long before the o/s
> > is and it can go it's merry way booting off any drive.
>
> We are quite happy with software raid. With a bit of careful paritioning
> and software raid, you can get the benefits of one boot manager config
> that self maintains without resorting to hardware raid.

H/W RAID has always been my preference (except for some smaller places) with
next to no fuss. For years I've now relied on 3Ware and had very good
statistics. S/W RAID is pretty interesting and obviously cheaper. On heavy
load it does have a problem keeping up with writes and of course you cannot
do hot swap last time I checked.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.