Re: [SLUG] Is RAID worth doing?

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 14:57:56 EDT

On Thursday 13 July 2006 14:07, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
> >On Thursday 13 July 2006 13:14, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> >

> >H/W RAID has always been my preference (except for some smaller places)
> > with next to no fuss. For years I've now relied on 3Ware and had very
> > good statistics. S/W RAID is pretty interesting and obviously cheaper. On
> > heavy load it does have a problem keeping up with writes and of course
> > you cannot do hot swap last time I checked.
>
> Our experience with 3Ware has been that failures often go unseen, write
> speed suffers drastically, and adding/removing drives requires extra
> intervention.

Mmm, that's no good. I've had very good luck with them. Not what I wanted to
hear...

> In the NKS farm, we simply pop in a blank drive and restore the
> partitioning:
>
> sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk -f /dev/hdc
>
> Then reboot. Viola, the system comes back up and starts resyncing.
>
> If a drive is hot swapped, even a boot can be avoided. Just re-read the
> partitioning and mdadd back the new partitions (partprobe is from the
> parted package, you just need something that can do a BLKRRPART ioctl()):
>
> partprobe /dev/hdc
> mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/hdc1

right, OK.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.