Re: [SLUG] Is RAID worth doing?

From: Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 22:06:25 EDT

On Thursday 13 July 2006 21:42, Pete S. wrote:
<snip>
> RAID 1 controllers can run pretty high (especially SCSI), but many new
> motherboards have RAID 1 built in to the SATA controllers.

What's more, for RAID 1 there isn't much bonus for a hardware RAID controller
except saving an extra trip to the PCI bus on writes, unless you're
interested in taking advantage of hotswap. You can't generally hotswap SATA
drives without supporting hardware in addition to swap bays, but a hardware
RAID controller will net you that.

I've warmed to software RAID for 1/0/1+0 when I don't care about hotswap, but
I still shy away from it for RAID 4/5/6. It's not that XOR is expensive,
it's that you're shipping all that data over your bus to perform the
calculations instead of handing it off to the hardware RAID card to deal
with. (Of course if your RAID card's on-board processor is underpowered,
there probably won't be much benefit anyway.)

--

Jason Boxman http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff