Re: [SLUG] [PIG] Weekly Pig Meeting in IRC tonight

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 18:52:08 EDT

Spake Paul M Foster on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 06:27PM -0400:
> Dylan William Hardison wrote:
> >Well, since I missed the (interesting-sounding!) Tampa meeting last
> >night (thanks to wonderful weather and perfect traffic conditions), I
> >figured I'd post a a reminder, the weekly PIG IRC meeting is going this
> >evening, from now
> >'til whenever on irc://freenode.net/slug.fl
> >
> >And this week, I actually didn't forget.
> >
> >The topic(s) that might come up are: replacing autoconf with perl,
> >currying, omake: another ocaml-based make replacement (and one I didn't
> >write!), and anything else those present bring up.
> >

> FWIW, KDE has changed/is changing from make and autoconf to cmake. Very
> large project, and they've tried other solutions before. From my brief
> investigation, it looks pretty easy to use.

I've used cmake, briefly. It has a number of problems:

1) it still uses make (on unix, anyway)
2) it assume I'm writing software in C or C++.
3) (personal taste) it reminds me too much of bad BASIC from the 80's.
4) it doesn't check for system features, but seems to check for system name.

However, my autoconf replacement would work O.K. with cmake. It doesn't
really care what you use to build the software (autoconf doesn't
either).

Although I've made my own make replacement (bake [1]), I'm starting to like omake [2], which is uglier, but has a lot more features.
e.g.
$ omake -S --progress
will only print stuff printed to stderr, and otherwise will print a
progress bar (think wget).

OMake is also very portable, it emulates a bourne shell on windows.

[1] http://dylan.hardison.net/code/bake/
[2] http://omake.metaprl.org/index.html

--
Thus spake the master programmer:
        "After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."