Re: [SLUG] [PIG] Visual Basic

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 15:37:35 EDT

On 7/15/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm talking to a guy who has a lightning detection rig, shown here:
>
> http://members.home.nl/fkooiman/lightning/index.htm
>
> What I have a question about is that its driver is: " Visual Basic program
> that detects the direction to the source of the lightning strike with an
> accuracy of 1 degree". Is there any way to run VB in Linux, or to translate
> that code to something that _can_ be run?

You might want to start with this....

http://www.baudline.com/

This tool can have up to 9 input channels, (you already have two which are
the left and right audio channels on your sound card, a second card will
add two more channels.

Looking at what the guy is doing with the hardware/software, I assume that he
is using the two antennas to obtain gross vector data, and he is probably also
rotating the antennas electronicly in order to get the vector data he needs to
determine the direction that the dischange came from. You will probably need
to do the same thing, but I think that you can probably work with baudline to
be a display for your data. Baudline is pretty good about working with you on
such things to, I am trying to get my place of employment to hire them to do a
pc 'scope front end for the little Velleman scopes, the windows software that is
sold for those things is a piece of crap after you use the baudline
software. They
are interested in doing the port, but I think that they should get something for
their work, and also think that the place where I work should loan them a scope
box so they can do the port work. The more channels (antennas) you can add
to it the better the resolution and other data.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;