Re: [SLUG] Fully Erase Data

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2006 - 10:02:32 EDT

Possum wrote:
> I have some hard drives here that have sensitive business data that must
> be completely erased and unrecoverable (even by forensic recovery).
> Will a full reformat of the drives suffice? Or can data still be
> recoverable? If not, then does anyone know an easy (preferably free)
> utility for doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Possum

A full format is not sufficient, you have to use a utility that removes
data by repeatedly writing different patterns.
You could try the System Rescue CD which is a bootable linux system on
CD with tons of great tools. Anyways, It has a couple utilities such as
"shred" and "wipe" that will take care of secure deletion. Just boot of
CD and go..

http://www.sysresccd.org/System-tools

-Chris