RE: [SLUG] Is RAID worth doing?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2006 - 18:52:03 EDT

>> Well, I originally said, "in the ultimate, worse case scenario," meaning
your machine is up, but your swap space has crashed and you want zero down
time.

Now I understand. Swap space is not an issue. Uptime is. My "ultimate,
worse case scenario" is to lose the root drive. That machine has 4GB RAM.

>> If you enjoy a plenitude of RAM, I guarantee you'll survive the process:

Only if you _never_ swap. If the OS is swapped to the disk, and it dies,
the kernel panics and reboots. And I've never seen an OS that would not
swap somewhat, even if it had plenty of RAM.

But thanks for the feedback...

Ken Elliott