Re: [SLUG] FS errors

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 00:57:16 EDT

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On 7/18/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:

>> > Where does Rieser fs fall into this?
>>
>> I'm only slightly paranoid, and I was scared off of ReiserFS by pages
>> like http://zork.net/~nick/mail/why-reiserfs-is-teh-sukc .
>
> Yes, I sort of wish I had not read that one. Now I am going to figure out
> how to move it to ext3...

If you have blank space at least as big as the largest partition you want,
no problem. init 1, unmount, mkfs, change some files, mount, init 5. Or
boot from cd, mkfs, change some files, reboot. Do the largest partition
first.

Less than that, but bigger than the largest collection of files on one
partition (possibly compressed), init 1, copy files to temp space, unmount,
mkfs, mount, move them back, init 5. (You can commandeer your scratch
partition(s) temporarily, but you'll have to do some stuff to them.)

If you don't have enough room even for that, it gets tougher. Also,
remember that when you delete a partition, stuff gets renumbered.

> Unless they have done work on RsiserFS to where it is more in line with
> ext3....

The article didn't say what version of ReiserFS was being discussed. 19 Dec
2004, and no distinction is made between v3 and v4,, so I'm guessing it's
before v4 came out. Anyhow, such a change would be pretty severe,
architecturally.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81
Answer: two spoonfuls in my cup, please.