Re: [SLUG] Are md5sums errors frequent?

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 19:41:04 EDT

On Sunday 23 July 2006 15:49, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> On 7/23/06, Donald E Haselwood <dhaselwood@verizon.net> wrote:
> > While I wasn't too surprised by the errors in the cd burning, I would
> > have never dreamed that getting two corrupted downloads of the same file
> > was even remotely likely when everything else looked good,.
> >
> > Don
>
> That would surprise me too. What were you using to download? Did you
> have to resume the download at all?
>
> Presumably you downloaded from the same site all three times, right?

Maybe you are on to something. After a bit more time to re-think this, maybe
the download sites were indeed different! At the bottom of the Suse download
page is "Select download page" with the button "Optimized worldwide"
preselected, which I used. That suggests that maybe the site could have been
different on the downloads. (I don't think I'll try testing this hypothesis
by downloading cd4 from each site!).

Don