Re: [SLUG] Linux on MAC?

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 08:18:19 EDT

I run Debian on my OLD venerable G3/266 PowerMac. It works well. Though,
as the years have gone by, it's slower in terms of screen redraws and
such, but that's not too big of a deal. With the G4, you can pretty much
do a "normal" install in terms of "insert CD and go". The difficulties
are things like running Flash, and I find that more and more websites
are using Flash, which is a real bummer for me. There just is no Flash
player for PPC Linux. I have trouble with sound, but that's because my
machine is old, and I run a 2.4.x kernel.

The good thing is that you can run MOL (Mac on Linux), and get back the
few things you may miss in Linux, like Flash.

Some day I'll have enough cash to buy a new machine...but for now,
Debian does a great job for me.

Russell